I don't see me

An accreditation is not required with Safe Food for the following activities:

  • Rearing an animal to be killed for meat
  • Growing, mixing, sorting or transporting stock food for consumption by an animal to be killed for meat
  • Home kill – so long as meat does not leave the property and is not sold or supplied to others
  • Handling or transporting an animal, at any stage before it arrives at an abattoir where it is killed
  • Handling or transporting smallgoods or a rendered product after it leaves the premises where it has been processed
  • Retail sale of pre-packaged meat, if the product is sold unopened

Still unsure if you require an accreditation? Please contact us.

Who else should I contact?

Though you may not require an accreditation with Safe Food, you may still need to be licensed or seek advice from other food regulatory authorities, including:
  • Local Council

    Contact your local council (ask for an Environmental Health Officer) if your inquiry relates to:

    • Licensing a retail food business (fixed site/shop)
    • Licensing a mobile food vehicle (e.g. food truck)
    • Licensing a temporary market stall
    • Licensing requirements for home-based food businesses (e.g. bed & breakfast, farm home stays)

    Search the Local Government Directory to find contact details and locality maps for Queensland’s local councils.

  • Queensland Health

    Contact Queensland Health for:

    • Food labeling requirements
    • Advice on food allergens
    • Food safety requirements for retail food businesses and food handlers
    • Food safety programs for retail food or catering businesses
    • Food safety advice for non-profit organisations
  • Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF)

    Contact DAF if your inquiry relates to:

    • Information on plants, agricultural chemicals, plant health, weeds and more
    • Animal health, pests and disease prevention
    • Moving and selling of livestock
    • Biosecurity requirements
    • Animal welfare (as it relates to food production)
  • Australian Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment (DAWE)

    Contact DAWE for:

    • Importing and exporting requirements*

    *If you are importing or exporting meat you may still require an accreditation with Safe Food. Please contact us to verify.