• Apply for an accreditation
  • Making an application
  • What happens next?
  • Fees + charges
  • Apply for an accreditation

If you produce or process meat, dairy, eggs, seafood or horticulture you may be required to have an accreditation with Safe Food.

Do I need an accreditation?

If you are required to have an accreditation with Safe Food you need to demonstrate how you manage food safety risks in your day-to-day operations. You can do this by completing a food safety program or management statement as part of your accreditation requirements. You must be accredited with Safe Food before you can legally supply meat, dairy, eggs, seafood or horticulture products in Queensland.

Please note: an accreditation can only be issued in the name of an individual or an incorporated body (an ACN registered company).


  • Making an application

Your application should include the following information:

Please note: The accreditation fee is not calculated on a pro rata basis.


  • What happens next?

Your application will be assessed by the Central Assessment Team (CAT) against the activities described in your food safety program or management statement.

Applicants are strongly urged to ensure that the details provided are complete to ensure that the processing time is as short as possible.

Once your application has been assessed and an accreditation granted by Safe Food you will usually receive an email confirmation. An accreditation certificate will then be sent to you, together with important information about your accreditation. You are then eligible to supply or sell in Queensland. There are certain things you are required to do as part of this responsibility, such as maintaining your food safety program.

  • Fees + charges

Fees are based on the activities you are carrying out as well as the scheme that applies to them.

Click to find out more

Food Safety Programs + Management Statements

A food safety program (FSP) or management statement (MS) is a document prepared by a business outlining control measures and procedures that its operation has put in place to reduce, or eliminate, significant food safety hazards (e.g. biological, physical, chemical) associated with a product that is produced or sold. A FSP or MS provides a means to demonstrate compliance with a scheme.
  • What is the difference between a FSP and MS?

    Food Safety Program (FSP)

    A food safety program is a documented approach to the processes and procedures by which a business will maintain their standards and operations to ensure that a safe and suitable product is produced and that any possible food safety risks are minimised or eliminated.

    • This is a detailed document that covers all aspects of a business, from inputs, product descriptions and temperatures, right through to cleaning, maintenance and pest control.
    • It involves a risk assessment to identify where any possible issues may arise, how to recognise these issues, what the acceptable limits are around each step, and what to do to rectify the situation should it occur.
    • This type of detailed documentation is required for activities that carry what is considered to be a “higher” risk rating, such as cooking, cooling or drying of meat products, pasteurisation of dairy products, or any processing activities, etc.


    Management Statement (MS)

    A management statement is a more concise way of documenting how a business intends to operate and what activities they intend to undertake and should be written by the applicant in their own words.

    • This is a document suitable for activities that carry a “lower” potential risk.
    • Lower risk activities include the production of raw products under the meat scheme, live and whole products in seafood, transportation, temperature controlled storage, wild animal harvesting, etc.
    • A way to address the required details without the more complicated risk assessment and supporting programs that are required for higher risk activities (like cooked and cooled products, etc.).


    Both a FSP and a MS should include how and when monitoring will occur, evaluation of performance and traceability information.

  • Do I need to develop a FSP or MS?

    If you are conducting activities for which an accreditation with Safe Food is required, then you will need to submit either a FSP or a MS as part of your application process.

    Dependant on what activity you are applying for, and what possible risks are involved, will determine if it is a FSP or a MS that you will need to submit.

    If you are unsure whether you need to develop a FSP or MS please contact us.

  • How do I develop a FSP or MS?

    A FSP can be developed either by the applicant or with the assistance of a food safety program consultant. The applicant is able to attempt to address the requirements on their own and submit their FSP for review as part of their application, or, alternatively, search for a consultant who will be able to assist if unsure of how the meet the requirements.

    Creating a FSP may involve such things as hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) and supporting programs.

    A MS should be written by the applicant as a brief overview of their intended operations and should be in their own words. It should advise what they intend to do and how they intend to do it with a view to satisfying the requirements to ensure they are producing or transporting products that are safe and suitable for their intended purpose.

Amending your Food Safety Program or Management Statement

An application to amend a FSP or MS should be submitted to Safe Food if:

  • You are proposing to make a change to your activities (i.e. you would like to start cooking smallgoods); and
  • The change would affect a significant food safety issue or a critical control point.

Maintain your Food Safety Program or Management Statement

Throughout the year you will have to make sure that your food safety program or management statement remains current and up to date.

Any major changes to your business might require approval from Safe Food, such as a change to your:

  • Processes (e.g. undertaking additional processing activities)
  • Equipment (e.g. operating new equipment)
  • Activities (e.g. receiving product from a new supplier)
  • Critical control points (e.g. cleaning process)

Fees + charges

Fees are based on the activities you are carrying out as well as the scheme that applies to them.

View the Fees on the Application Form

Please note: You will need to select the relevant box/es on the second page of the application form for the fees to appear. The fees that appear will be the application fee and accreditation fees combined.

GST does not apply to application or accreditation fees. The accreditation fee is not calculated on a pro rata basis.

Audit fee

As part of your application for accreditation, a compliance audit will also be conducted against the food safety program or management statement you submit with your application. This audit will be done in the form of a site visit, or desktop audit from Safe Food’s head office, and will be charged in 15-minute increments. Safe Food will advise what type of compliance audit your business will require.

The 2019 fee for service rate (audit fee) is $303.55 per hour (plus GST).

A compliance audit or assessment is required during each accreditation period (calendar year). If you choose to renew your accreditation for the following year, your compliance audit or assessment will be done on site.

Please note: Audit fees are an additional charge to the application and accreditation fees. You will receive an audit report and invoice once the audit has been completed.

Renew my accreditation

All accreditations remain in force until 31 December in the year for which they are issued. Therefore, all accreditation holders need to renew their accreditation and pay (in full) the prescribed fee before 1 January in the following calendar year in order to continue to operate.

In early November, all accreditation holders will receive a renewal advice notice by their preferred method of contact. If you haven’t received your renewal advice before November 30, please contact us.

Need to update your contact details? Contact us.

Frequently asked questions