Skip to main content

Wild Animal Harvester (Red Meat)

If you kill wild animals for food, such as macropods (e.g. kangaroos) or wild boar, and supply to a wild game meat processor, then you require an accreditation with Safe Food Production Queensland (Safe Food).

These activities are classified as Wild Animal Harvesting under the Meat Scheme of the Food Production (Safety) Regulation 2014.


What should I submit with my application?

  • Application form

    Complete the Application form and select Wild Animal Harvesting (Meat Scheme) as your activity on page 2.

    Note: If you want to complete this form on your mobile or desktop, please download or save it first.

  • Payment details

    Fees and payment details can be viewed within the application form.

  • Management statement

    A management statement is a concise way of documenting how your business intends to operate and what activities you intend to undertake. It should be written by you (the applicant) in your own words. We also accept other formats of this management statement (e.g. from depots or processors).

  • Copy of Certificate of Attainment for Wild Animal Field Harvesting (SFPQ compliant)

    Obtained through TAFE Queensland South West Region (TQSW).

    For course details and times, please call TQSW on (07) 4694 1522.

  • Photos of your vehicle

    Please include photos of your vehicle that show:

    • floor of the processing area
    • pelvic bars
    • water tank and tap
    • knife sanitising container and hand wash soap dispensing unit (chemicals included)
    • vehicle registration plates attached to the vehicle
    • any other items maintained and/or stored in the processing area (e.g. knife storage, spare tires, winch toolbox, etc.)

    Note: If you wish to accredit multiple vehicles, you will need to submit separate photos for each vehicle.

  • Statement in writing (wild boar harvesters only)

    If you are ONLY harvesting wild boar, you must submit a statement in writing that clearly states this, signed by you (the applicant) and a witness. You may choose to include this statement within your Management Statement.

  • Other requirements (wild macropod harvesters)

    If you are harvesting wild macropods, you must obtain a Commercial Wildlife Harvesting License from the Department of Environment and Science (DES). A copy of this does not need to be submitted to Safe Food.

    DES can be contacted on 1300 130 372.

Submit your completed application to us at or PO Box 221, Greenslopes, Brisbane, QLD 4120.

When to apply

Under the Food Production (Safety) Act 2000, it is unlawful to engage in certain activities relating to primary production or processing of food until you have been granted an accreditation by Safe Food. As such, you should allow adequate time for your application to be reviewed by Safe Food before you begin operating.

Your application will be assessed within 14 days, although applications submitted in their entirety (with all the items outlined above) are likely to be processed faster.

Once you have submitted your application, a member of our Central Assessment Team will contact you for payment (if paying by credit card). Once payment has been received, your application will be assessed, and we will contact you if we require any further information.

You will be notified in writing about the outcome of your application (approved or refused).


Fees are based on the activities you are carrying out and are outlined in the Application form.

New applications will incur a one-time application fee that is non-refundable.

Our accreditation period runs from 1st January – 31st December*. You will therefore need to renew your accreditation on an annual basis.

For more information, please refer to our fees & charges.

*Our fees are not pro-rata.