I don't see me

An accreditation is not required with Safe Food for the following activities:

  • Rearing a bird as a pet
  • Using eggs from your own flock for personal consumption
  • Using eggs from you own flock in an on-farm café, bed & breakfast etc. (i.e. eggs do not leave the site they were produced on)
  • Manufacturing foods containing egg products (e.g. quiches, meringues)
  • Retail sale of eggs for human consumption, excluding on-farm sale (e.g. a corner store or farmers market stall)*
*Retail sale of eggs

While you may not require an accreditation with Safe Food, if you are retailing eggs then you must comply with the Food Standards Code Standard 2.2.2. Specifically, prohibiting the sale of cracked and dirty eggs and requiring eggs sold in Queensland to be stamped with a unique identifier.

Still unsure if you require an accreditation? Please contact us.

Who else should I contact?

While you may not require an accreditation with Safe Food, you may still need to be licensed or seek advice from other food regulatory authorities, including:
  • Local Council

    Contact your local council (ask for an Environmental Health Officer) if your inquiry relates to:

    • Licensing a retail food business (fixed site/shop)
    • Licensing a mobile food vehicle (e.g. food truck)
    • Licensing a temporary market stall
    • Licensing requirements for home-based food businesses (e.g. bed & breakfast, farm home stays)

    Search the Local Government Directory to find contact details and locality maps for Queensland’s local councils.

  • Queensland Health

    Contact Queensland Health for:

    • Food labeling requirements
    • Advice on food allergens
    • Food safety requirements for retail food businesses and food handlers
    • Food safety programs for retail food or catering businesses
    • Food safety advice for non-profit organisations
  • Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF)

    Contact DAF if your inquiry relates to:

    • Information on plants, agricultural chemicals, plant health, weeds and more
    • Animal health, pests and disease prevention
    • Moving and selling of livestock
    • Biosecurity requirements
    • Animal welfare (as it relates to food production)
  • Australian Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment (DAWE)

    Contact DAWE for:

    • Importing and exporting requirements