COVID-19 Update: QLD Border Restrictions

This notice is for businesses accredited by Safe Food Production Queensland (Safe Food) who may be impacted by restrictions to the Queensland border, which took affect midnight Wednesday 25th March 2020.

Safe Food are aware some of our accredited businesses may have employees or logistical contracts that require commuting or movement between State borders.  This is classed as essential travel.

Employees travelling for work

As a food business, if you have employees that need to travel to Queensland for work, they can still do so, however they must obtain an entry pass, even if they live in the cross border communities. Your business will also have to provide a health plan that complies with requirements set by the Chief Health Officer that ensures adequate hygiene and safety requirements to limit the transmission of COVID19. A Health Plan template is available to download.

Food Transport Vehicles

Food transport vehicles are exempt from Queensland’s border restrictions. However, all drivers must obtain an entry pass. Heavy vehicles carrying any kinds of freight or goods across the border do not have to apply for an entry pass.

Who is still allowed to enter Queensland?

Those living outside of Queensland who provide critical services to Queensland:
  • National/state security
  • Essential health services
  • Emergency services
  • Transport of goods or freight by land, sea or air, including food
  • Critical maintenance/repair to critical infrastructure in Queensland
  • Construction, mining/energy/agribusinesses
  • Federal, state or local government workers or contractors who are required to enter to Queensland to work.
For further information about border restrictions, please refer to the Queensland Government website.

Food Transporter Register

To further assist our accredited businesses, Safe Food has developed a new Food Transporter Register. In the event that your food transport vehicle is stopped at the border by Queensland Police, you should display your current Safe Food accreditation sticker, show a copy of your current Safe Food accreditation certificate, or refer them to our Food Transporter Register. They will be able to search your vehicle’s registration on this register and verify your accreditation with Safe Food.