Do you have a food complaint or other food-related issue? FSANZ has put together all the relevant contact information for agencies in Queensland, including the different types of inquiries and who is best to contact.
Queensland’s food regulatory system
In Queensland, three government agencies work together to regulate food safety. These are:
- Queensland Health
- Safe Food Production Queensland
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF)
The regulation of primary production and processing is the responsibility of Safe Food. Our legislation focuses on the food safety management of meat, eggs, dairy, seafood and horticulture. It also provides a framework to address emerging issues that may impact food safety.
Who to Contact
Contact your Local Council (ask for an Environmental Health Officer) if your inquiry relates to:
- licensing of food businesses (both making and selling of food)
- mobile food premises
- complaints about food safety and hygiene matters in food premises. You can also use the Food Pantry to lodge a complaint about a food product or food business
- food safety programs (except those in Queensland Government facilities)
Search the Local Government Directory to find contact details and locality maps for Queensland’s local councils.
Public Health Unit
Contact your closest Public Health Unit if your inquiry relates to:
- food composition and labelling issues (including undeclared food allergens)
- information on food legislation
- Queensland food safety publications
- complaints about suspected food-borne illness, contamination of food and food recalls
- food safety programs in Queensland Government facilities.
Public health units are located within Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) across the state.
Please note: All incidents of suspected intentional contamination of food are to be reported to Queensland Health via the 13 HEALTH hotline (13 43 25 84).
Contact Queensland Health Food Safety Standards and Regulation if your inquiry relates to:
- State-wide policies on food issues and enforcement
- regulatory implementation and enforcement issues
- approval of and complaints about food safety auditors
- initiating a food recall
- general advice on current and proposed food standards.
+61 7 3328 9310 (Office hours)
Safe Food Production Queensland
Contact Safe Food if your inquiry relates to:
- the production and processing of primary produce (that is, dairy, meat, seafood, sprouts and eggs)
- monitoring of hygiene standards and operating procedures of premises, vehicles, plant and equipment used for the production of primary produce
- accrediting primary production and processing businesses
- approval of food safety programs for accredited businesses
- complaints about food safety at businesses producing or processing primary produce
+61 7 3253 9800 or 1800 300 815
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Contact DAF if your inquiry relates to:
- Trade and export and support services
- Information on plants, agricultural chemicals, plant health, weeds and more
- Animal industries, moving and selling livestock, and animal welfare (as it relates to food production)
- Fishing, aquaculture, fish species, habitats and legislation
- Timber products and plantation management
- Environmental issues, such as sustainable agriculture and disaster assistance
- Prevention and management of biosecurity threats
13 25 23 (cost of a local call within Queensland) or +61 7 3404 6999