Who do I contact with a food complaint?

Do you have a food complaint or other food-related issue? FSANZ has put together all the relevant contact information for agencies in Queensland, including the different types of inquiries and who is best to contact.

Queensland’s food regulatory system

Each state and territory has adopted a different approach to achieving consistent food safety outcomes. Queensland has taken a virtual food safety agency approach, whereby three government agencies work together to regulate food safety. These include:

  • Queensland Health 
  • Safe Food Production Queensland
  • Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF)

The day-to-day regulation of primary production and processing is the responsibility of Safe Food. The legislation focuses on the food safety management of meat, eggs, dairy, seafood and horticulture. It also provides a framework to address emerging issues that may impact food safety.

Who to Contact

Local Council

Contact your Local Council (ask for an Environmental Health Officer) if your inquiry relates to:

  • licensing of food businesses (both making and selling of food)
  • mobile food premises
  • complaints about food safety and hygiene matters in food premises 
  • food safety programs (except those in Queensland Government facilities)

Search the Local Government Directory to find contact details and locality maps for Queensland’s local councils.

Public Health Unit

Contact your closest Public Health Unit if your inquiry relates to:

  • food composition and labeling issues (including undeclared food allergens)
  • Queensland food safety publications
  • information on food legislation
  • complaints about suspected food-borne illness, contamination of food and food recalls
  • food safety programs in Queensland Government facilities.

Public health units are located within Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) across the state.

Please note: All incidents of suspected intentional contamination of food are to be reported to Queensland Health via the 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) hotline.

Queensland Health

Contact Queensland Health Food Safety Standards and Regulation if your inquiry relates to:

  • Statewide policies on food issues and enforcement
  • regulatory implementation and enforcement issues
  • approval of and complaints about food safety auditors
  • initiating a food recall
  • general advice on current and proposed food standards.

+61 7 3328 9310 (Office hours)

Website: www.health.qld.gov.au/foodsafety
Email: foodsafety@health.qld.gov.au

Safe Food Production Queensland

Contact Safe Food if your inquiry relates to:

  • the production and processing of primary produce (that is, dairy, meat, seafood, sprouts and eggs)
  • monitoring of hygiene standards and operating procedures of premises, vehicles, plant and equipment used for the production of primary produce
  • accrediting primary production and processing businesses
  • approval of food safety programs for accredited businesses
  • complaints about food safety at businesses producing or processing primary produce

+61 7 3253 9800 or 1800 300 815

Website: www.safefood.qld.gov.au
Email: info@safefood.qld.gov.au

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Contact DAF if your inquiry relates to:

  • Trade and export and support services
  • Information on plants, agricultural chemicals, plant health, weeds and more
  • Animal industries, moving and selling livestock, and animal welfare (as it relates to food production)
  • Fishing, aquaculture, fish species, habitats and legislation
  • Timber products and plantation management
  • Environmental issues, such as sustainable agriculture and disaster assistance
  • Prevention and management of biosecurity threats

13 25 23 (cost of a local call within Queensland) or +61 7 3404 6999
Website: https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/
Email: callweb@daf.qld.gov.au